Thursday, January 28, 2010
C Powers sent over this new track, sorta sounding more on the Mane Mane side of things. Shit is heavy. "Tea Each" is "a sneak peek at what is developing into an album," so sample it and get rowdy for the full-length.
C Powers - Tea Each
(image via FAT DUDES)
I caught Stellar Om Source play twice last weekend, once at George Myers' place with Daniel Higgs and the next night at the Whitehaus with Higgs and Oneohtrix Point Never. I grabbed her U.S. tour CD Exises and have been listening to it multiple times daily.
Stellar Om Source - Team X
Stellar Om Source - When Re-eternize?
Last week I checked out Duck Dive after Don't Die Wondering blog posted an excerpt of something called "Taking Liquid Horizon," a pulsating strobe of lighthouse beams circling round high cliffs, waves crashing, eddies churning, enough mist to garner "pea soup" status. While you may not be able to see your hand in front of your face, there's salty aquatic textures, ones you can touch, run your hands through and taste on your fingers.
Duck Dive sent over a couple more the other day - track 3 from the never released Earth Core Dreams album and "Multiversal Drift," from forthcoming album Inner Projections. The Earth Core Dreams track hardly sounds terrestrial, sort of on some High Wolf zones. The latter eases in on some frog chirps which persist through far-out synth oscillations, somehow still referencing the Earth while floating out in space.
Duck Dive - Earth Core Dreams Track 3
Duck Dive - Multiversal Drift
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
New EP from I Create Soundscapes called High Dive was brought to my attention while cruisin Myspace. Dude's from Istanbul and I'm into the way he's moving - free digital EPs available for download from Myspace (TEN of them), real warm zones for drifting with some more rhythmic stuff thrown in, or as Weedtemple put it "somewhat similar to the works of Stellar Om Source or High Wolf."
Check out the completely submerged track "Tube Riding" below, then you might as well grab the whole EP.
I Create Soundscapes - Tube Riding
This weekend Pure Ecstasy will be making their way to Brooklyn for a couple shows, one Friday night at Bruar Falls with Twin Sister, Family Portrait and Run DMT and one at a loft in Bushwick with Twin Sister. There, Ari (Underwater Peoples, Family Portrait) and I will be spinning records. Big ups to McGregor for putting these together.
If by some chance you're around and haven't heard any of these dudes (if you have, you're there, right?) here's a little sampler:
Pure Ecstasy - Easy
Pure Ecstasy - Pressure Drop (Toots & the Maytalls cover)
Pure Ecstasy - You're In it Now
(promo video for new Color Your Life EP via PIXELHORSE)
Twin Sister - Vampires With Dreaming Kids EP
(dope jam from previous Bruar Falls performance also via PIXELHORSE)
Family Portrait - Mega Secrets
Family Portrait - Babyskins (from Friendship Bracelet Club Volume 1)
Family Portrait - It Turns (from Friendship Bracelet Club Volume 3)
Run DMT - Bong Voyage
Run DMT - Get Ripped Or Die Trying
Run DMT - Money (dem hunger and her shitgut beer bullshit version)
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
It's been a few months since Volume 2, which seemed to go over pretty well. Here's the freshly completed Friendship Bracelet Club Volume 3, the Winter 2010 installment of the Friendship Bracelet-curated quarterly compilation series which started last July, meaning Volume 4 will roll around in April and so on. I'd like to thank all the dudes and bands who were kind enough to get me music for you all to hear.
I would also like to mention that this is, as always, a free download. Very soon I will have available a Paypal link where you can win yourself a CDR (a.k.a. donating) something like $5. Sample image of the disc in a day or two. This money will be used entirely for future Friendship Bracelet endeavors, not on beer and chips.
FRIENDSHIP BRACELET CLUB VOLUME 3
1. Pink Priest - Sweet Blood. Volume 3 opens with swells from Pink Priest a.k.a. William Cody Watson taken from the 20+ minute piece I Want To Stand Next To You At The End Of The World. Sneak peek status. Check out the whole thing HERE.
2. Speculator - Share. Another brilliant and hazy pop gem from Nick, salt-sweet air from an open window wafting in. Don't worry, Summer is only like 2 seasons away. Watch out for this split he's doing with Luke Perry, out now on Wet Merchants. Act fast - THERE ARE ONLY 15 LEFT.
3. Fluker Love - Soaked. I dig all this swirling sex-pulse stuff coming outa this guy. Again, "like if Loveless was made for £1.50." Check out his blog and check out the entire Fluker Love self-titled full-length by clicking through his Myspace.
4. Family Portrait - It Turns. Brand new track from Underwater Peoples' house band is sounding better and better by the minute. Just wait til they're all back in the U.S.
5. How To Dress Well & cokc dokc - Lover's Start (Desert Voyage). A sensual strut through R&B hiss and echoed harmonies. If you haven't checked out the 3" CDRs these guys have been busting out, you should. The fifth in the series of five drops soon, later to be reissued in a sort of box set.
6. Boneless - Hymn. Sparkling dawnbreak sounds from Nevada. Be sure to keep posted about the Boneless tape out on Leftist Nautical Antiques/Friendship Bracelet sometime in the next month..
7. Tall Boys - Miami. I mentioned this track last week, praising it for sounding so pleasant and sunny even though it's the end of January. Tall Boys is Kenny from Byrds of Paradise and Dylan from Mount McKinley, just a couple "BROES TAKING A BREAK FROM LAX TO DRINK BEERS AND JAM."
8. Cool World - Sun Roof Top. Nick and Sean came all the way from Providence to play the first Friendship Bracelet Presents show last month, which is way cool in my book. Dudes have a full-length out sometime this year on DŒS ARE, which will also be way cool.
9. Coasting - Hots For Teacher.
"I wanna tell you that I like you"
10. Total Slacker - Stuck In 93. Two dudes plus one dudette make lazy pop music about tacos, burritos, Pepsi.
"Watching Full House, playing SEGA on the Slip 'n Slide"
11. More Bikini Babes - Took My Shoes Off. The last compilation gave you "Fishing With My Dad." Here's an instrumental jam to whet the whistle until he done recordin the full-length.
"shreddin on riffs, Superstar from brooklyn. Currently recording it."
12. High Wolf - Friendship. Pretty consistent with all the talk about "plantain based smoke-magic" and "Sun-traveller vibes" and "tripped out, swelter-zone equatorial electronics." This was an outtake from the songs that went into the Incapulco CDR. Stay tuned for much more High Wolf, including a split 12" with FBC vets Forest Swords on Group Tightener (what a perfect pairing), a High Wolf LP on Not Not Fun and a tape on Krayon.
13. Jeans Wilder - By Midnight. Jeans took an FBC vacation on Volume 2, but he back this time with a cavernous burner suitable for some cryptic meeting in a foggy graveyard to exchange some sacred items necessary for a particular occult ritual, trudging through dew and dirt and headstones. Tons of new material coming our way including two 7"s, two cassettes and two splits. Check the Myspace for more details.
14. Truman Peyote - Anotherother. A couple months ago, Caleb from Truman Peyote came to WMUA studios with Orion from Lord Jeff and banged out four live songs in our studio. One of them was called "Anotherother," which eventually ended up on their Peaced Together split 12" with Many Mansions as "Magentadoor II." This version of the song sees a wild, crashing climax exclusively for WMUA and FB.US.
15. Buon Giorno Luamada - Shoni. Igor got me this track a bit ago, lots of beautiful sampled confusion and space zones. He is a cinema student from Rio de Janeiro. His album is available from Perdizes Dream.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Nate Grace (Pure Ecstasy) just sent over an absolute dreamboat of a track from a band called SLEEP ∞ OVER (or maybe they just prefer Sleep Over).
All I know at this point is it's a trio of Stefanie Franciotti, Christa Palazzolo and Sarah Brown (members of Silver Pines and Belaire) and it will appear on a 7" split with Pure Ecstasy out sometime soon on Light Lodge. Oh, and according to Nate:
"these girls are badassezzz."
SLEEP OVER - Your World Is Night
(image via FAT DUDES)
Sunday, January 17, 2010
It's winter. It's about to snow nine inches, sleet an inch and a half and then rain, which will in turn freeze on top of everything. This is nothing at all what this Tall Boys track "Miami" sounds like, so if your climate is anything like mine I suggest you peep this track in order to forget about the salt-white roads. The track will appear on the upcoming third installment of the Friendship Bracelet Club series, dropping sometime next week. Tall Boys is Kenny from Byrds of Paradise and Dylan from Mount McKinley on some lil "pop instrumental" shit. Don't tell the other 'bad boys of lo-fi.'
Tall Boys - Miami
ALSO with regards to forgetting about winter, here's a track from Mount McKinley called "The Beach," which might not be quite as sunny as "Miami," but.. it's called "The Beach." Sort of has this swirling Slowdive thing goin on, but sped up.
Mount McKinley - The Beach
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Since Chocolate Bobka introduced me to some dope Raw Thrills Youtubes the other day I've been watching these videos, "Why Can't I Say Let Go" in particular, on repeat. Every thing about these songs is catchy - slacked off chants, sugarhyper synths, processed Bizarre Love Triangle drum sound. Give this guy a horn section and watch out.
Raw Thrills - Why Can't I Say Let Go
Raw Thrills - You Should of Known Me
Also, according to Myspace, Raw Thrills is Zak Mering. Zak Mering WAS Insted. Here is a video from the Insted days depicting kids putting waaay more preparation in for a party than I did for anything when I was 13.
(image via FAT DUDES)
Monday, January 11, 2010
Sunday, January 10, 2010
You may have heard some New Yoga jams previously in the form of "Lizard Vision" or in his DARK BONG video collage from last summer. I caught New Yoga a.k.a. Jeffrey Joyal performing a set at the James Ferraro/dANA show I checked out at Bard College last month, full of guitar shreds and loops.
The entire Lizard Vision album has just been made available for download from SKYMALL. Grab a couple samplers here before you download the whole thing and perform some Yoga2K10 (sit on the couch all day, watch football, drink beers).
New Yoga - Gold Trip Too
New Yoga - Afterschool Slowrider
New Yoga - Deep Phase Me
(Image via Google Search)
Saturday, January 9, 2010
I know this is getting kind of on the old side now, but I just heard this collaboration between Daniel Lopatin (Oneohtrix Point Never) and Mark McGuire (Emeralds) for the first time. It's vast, grand and dense, splitting under pulsating pressure, gleaming out of every crack. The whole Days of Thunder album is up for download at DAYVAN ZOMBEAR, but check out the first track "Flight Simulator" first:
Skyramps - Flight Simulator
Beautiful lookin video of Pure Ecstasy playing "Easy" at Aquarius Records, courtesy Yours Truly. Makes me even more excited for when they come to Brooklyn in a few weeks to play a couple shows.
Transparent says the audio sounds like "if the Everley Brothers were the first heartbroken men on the moon," which is an extreme yet accurate claim. I'd like to hear Moonwalking Everly Bros write a song like this for the guy on Apollo 11 who didn't get to walk on the moon and received far less fame and notoriety than Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Ran into these surf jams over at No Pain In Pop and an instrumental at Impose. The Sticks come off as a crisp throwback to some yellowed surf film I've never seen, soundtracking both ripped curls and Rolls Royce chase scenes. Since it's only three songs they've been on repeat, tryin hard as they can to melt all the snow in New England. More to stream over at Myspace.
You may have already seen this video floating around, but it's too fantastic not to post. Julian Lynch with Jersey crew backing band performing "Rancher" at Bruar Falls earlier this week. Really hoping I can catch a show of his like this sometime soon.
(VIA CHOCOLATE BOBKA)
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Stellar OM Source is the blissful and icy tones of Dutch synthesizer goddess Christelle Gualdi. Came across a bunch of her music somewhere in the internet a while ago and have been zoning out to her Crusader album ever since. She's got over a dozen releases, many of which are self-released CDRs. This single post on Weedtemple collects all the albums I've heard so far, which have made for some of the most galactic mindjourneys of Winter 09/10.
One of my favorite jams is the title track from Crusader, which reminds me of what might happen if Julian Lynch composed a dirge for a funeral scene on some far off tundra.
Stellar OM Source - Crusader
"Sand Lie" is more on the Oneohtrix Point Never side of overworld music, oceanic and vast, ebbing and flowing. Same goes for "The Code of Desire Talk" and "Dunes Survivor," which burble like ripe tide pools swarming with proliferating life. I'm talkin vintage science class handheld video footage.
Stellar OM Source - Dunes Survivor
"Flash! I Drift" is somewhere in between, kind of like a High Wolf jam being eroded by waves.
Stellar OM Source - Flash! I Drift
What's more is that she is about to venture out on a huge U.S. tour from New York (mid-January) to California (early March), making multiple stops in Western Massachusetts in a couple weeks. If you're in the area stay tuned for locations of shows since currently they're all TBA. Otherwise, check Myspace to see if the show's coming to you.
EDIT: The January 22 show will be at George's house.
Been talkin about this new Truman Peyote/Many Mansions split 12" for a bit now. Heard the Truman Peyote side first, bought the tape version of the release at their show in Northampton Monday night so I could hear the Many Mansions side, which very much so sounds like Shane's set that night. Here's a couple deep space jungle visions from his side of the split. Buy the LP from Whitehaus when it drops this month.
Many Mansions - Ocean Temple pt. 1
Many Mansions - Sparkly Portal
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Here's a couple chunks of yesterday's ICE CREAM PAINT JOB radio program hosted by myself, DJ BEER WITH DINNER. Download the mediafires and hear/see for yourself what you coulda caught live on the air last nite.
01/04/10 ICE CREAM PAINT JOB 3, PART 1
00:00 HIGH WOLF - UTOPIA
05:15 BONELESS - WARM BREEZE
07:57 RUN DMT - BETWEEN US COLADA
09:37 ALEX BLEEKER AND THE FREAKS - SUMMER > EPILOGUE
16:18 HEAVY HAWAII - TEEN ANGEL
18:58 THE KINKS - THIS TIME TOMORROW (REQUEST)
22:00 CRYSTALLINE ROSES - DANTE
24:11 VOCAL BREAK
26:06 ANDREW CEDERMARK - AD INFINITUM
29:01 TOTAL SLACKER - PSYCHIC MESA
33:24 BIG TROUBLES - FORMER SELVES
36:32 GRIPPERS NOTHER ONESERS - AFTER DARK CRAVINGS
38:23 TRUMAN PEYOTE - NUMBJOB
42:26 TY SEGALL & MIKAL CRONIN - HIGH SCHOOL
44:14 WEREWOLVES OF PITTSFIELD - JEANNIE
01/04/10 ICE CREAM PAINT JOB PART 2
00:00 SECOND FAMILY BAND - TAKEOVER THE RAINBOW
06:36 CHRIS D'EON - WAHI
10:59 PIGEONS - TENDRESS
14:25 DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - JUST A LITTLE LOVIN'
16:29 SUNDOG PEACEHOUSE - MOSS GNOMES
20:07 BUON GIORNO LUAMADA - CARTOGRAPHIE
24:00 HOW TO DRESS WELL & COKC DOKC - ESCAPE BEFORE THE RAIN
26:58 CHRIS D'EON - TONGLIN
29:29 NIGHT CONTROL - MAYBE THERE'S A CHANCE
"abstract/weirdo beats" from Happy Family Will under the name inflatable mattress. Some sort of collection of songs alone or paired with others will see release this year on dope new Baltimore label Wigflip, which is home to some rad stuff been kickin around (Happy Family, RUN DMT, Lexx, Do While, Dirty Universe) and promises much more for the future. They got a snazzy new site to browse as well, so check that out and download some free jams while you're there.
inflatable mattress - free kisses vs. my nn-xt
inflatable mattress - pillowfight
Monday, January 4, 2010
Tonite is the third installment of ICE CREAM PAINT JOB. Listen in from 6:30-8PM EST on WMUA 91.1FM on dial and streaming from wmua.org. Sultry jams from Second Family Band, High Wolf, Truman Peyote, Total Slacker, Night Control, Run DMT, D'EON, Boneless and many more.
ALSO I have uploaded my set on the air from New Year's Eve from about 8-10PM. Endless 2009 jams to cap the year off. Feast on MP3s and peep tracklists:
NEW YEAR'S EVE PART 1
00:00 D'EON - THE GIRL FROM KOLN IS GONE
04:45 ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - WHAT WOULD I WANT SKY (BBC SESSION)
07:28 PINA CHULADA - WHAT YOU MEAN
09:01 AU REVOIR SIMONE - SHADOWS (TANLINES REMIX)
12:15 SAINT ETIENNE - SPRING (AIR FRANCE REMIX)
17:12 BIBIO - JEALOUS OF ROSES
19:38 NITE FUNK - AM I GONNA MAKE IT
24:45 DIL JACKSON - PLAYER HAS BUTTERFLIES
27:08 FLYING LOTUS - I FEEL LIKE DYING (INSTRUMENTAL)
29:42 BROTHER JOZEF - GOOD SENSI
31:58 HAIR MAH - SUPERWORLD FUCKER
33:11 CH-ROM - DEEP DIMENSIONS VIDEO 2
37:45 GHOSTFACE KILLAH FT. VAUGHN ANTHONY & ESTELLE - PARAGRAPHS OF LOVE
41:38 TORO Y MOI - MINORS
44:36 LEE FIELDS & THE EXPRESSIONS - LADIES
48:44 BROTHER JOZEF - THOSE HANDS STILL GIVE ME MERCY
50:40 PSAs (oops)
NEW YEAR'S EVE PART 2
00:00 TEENGIRL FANTASY - AZZ KLAPZ
07:38 LINDSTROM & CHRISTABELLE - BABY CAN'T STOP
13:34 TORO Y MOI - CAUSERS OF THIS
16:32 OBEY CITY - CELESTIAL STEAM
19:14 JAVELIN - VIBRATIONS
21:23 SHAMS - PILLOW TALK
25:23 LUKE PERRY - SKYNET INFILTRATION SIMULATION UNIT
28:04 MAJOR LAZER - CAN'T STOP NOW
29:25 UNDERWRITING/VOCAL BREAK
32:05 BAD AUTOPSY - FORMAL INVITE
35:20 NITE JEWEL - WANT YOU BACK
39:24 O'SPADA - TIME (SUCKSHAFT REMIX)
44:11 ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - DAILY ROUTINE (PHASEONE REMIX)
47:22 WASHED OUT - GET UP
50:21 CLIPSE - I'M GOOD
54:00 VOCAL BREAK
54:41 PRINCE - 1999 (LIVE ON YOUTUBE)